Skip to main content

The Mirada Fuerte / Picasso's Eyes




The Mirada Fuerte
by Lynne Gerard
Original Paleolithic-style Rock Painting


Small sedimentary dolostone with imbedded fossils
North Channel, Lake Huron, Manitoulin Island

I forage our shoreline at the Ravenseyrie Sorraia Mustang Preserve for a variety of unique, sensual rock "canvases" that I gather and bring to my art studio for future paintings.

I have been painting on these rocks since moving to Manitoulin Island in 2005 and have been well trained by them to "listen" to what they have to "say".  This year, especially, it seems that the rocks have been requesting human images of a more modern, representational style than the many prehistoric motifs that had so frequently presented themselves to  me.  Even so, I continue to paint them using my version of the Paleolithic-style techniques.

The rock I share with you today is no exception.  Quite naturally, the imbedded fossils in it suggested eyes.  But whose eyes?

It wasn't long when an inner prodding said, "Pablo Picasso".  Picasso...really???  Goodness!  Who am I to paint an icon of modern art onto a small, fossilized dolostone fragment?  But, who am I to ignore the inner prodding of the stone itself?  So I set about studying my books and the internet for further direction on how to proceed with such a seemingly foolish venture.  

Using a variety of photographs of Picasso as an aged man, I worked up my own composite image and gave it a try on the wee stone.

first try

My first rendering gave a general idea that such a portrait would, indeed, work with this special stone, but I scrubbed it off to have another go as this first attempt was problematic.

My second go, had some troubles, too...

second try

...and so I scrubbed that day's work off and began a third attempt at trying to present some version of Picasso on a wee stone.

Third try underway and looking promising!

The third version began to send off a "scent" of the essence of Picasso, so I continued working with it until I felt I had done the best that I could.  

The Mirada Fuerte
by Lynne Gerard

Not a perfect likeness, but for me, it captured what art historian and Picasso biographer had said of Picasso's eyes:

Although he was quite short, he had amazing charisma.  Above all, he had what Spaniards call the mirada fuerte, the strong gaze, which, as Picasso said, enables a man to have a girl with his eyes.  Picasso had fantastic eyes: enormous eyes that could indicate interest, rage, love, desire, impatience--whatever.  I used to watch Picasso working a room.  At dinner in the studio, he would get each person--male or female, old or young, friend or acquaintance--with those hypnotic eyes.
         --John Richardson, as quoted in Vanity Fair


And this marvellous little rock, with eyes fossilized into it, surely has had me!  I've thoroughly enjoyed being had by it, too!  It was such a fun one to paint... 

The Mirada Fuerte
by Lynne Gerard
The Mirada Fuerte
The Mirada Fuerte

...and also fun to photograph, as it is one of those portraits where the eyes follow you from no matter what angle you observe it.  I decided to take a bit of video to demonstrate what I mean.  Have a look:





There is only one way to see things, until someone shows us how to look at them with different eyes.
--Pablo Picasso

Thank you first to the Manitoulin Island dolostone for showing me the possibilities and thank you, also, to the spirit of Pablo Picasso - your mirada fuerte still works its magic!